Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Next Best Thing

At this point the painting has been well established and the focus moved to refining the details while not ruining the value composition.  The rock in the lower foreground set the tone for the color and value decisions that followed.

As I developed the rocks in the foreground, I focused on how I could make them bring out the beauty of the shadows in the large rock.  At this point I worked primarily in the foreground and focused on completing specific rocks instead of wandering around the painting making adjustments.  I felt like I needed to strike while the iron was hot.

As I critiqued my finished painting, I looked to Rockpile a couple of hundred yards up the beach and decided this would be the next painting.  I did not like the way the rocks would influence the composition of my next painting so I packed up and moved up the beach.

No comments: