This is the most simple start that I have made to date. The goal is to spend more time in the development of the painting at the later stages. Time is always at a premium and my change in approach is intended to emphasize the quality of the finish of the painting.
I am adding the shapes of the trees and the weeds on the hill to fill in the composition.
Here I am furthering the shapes of the trees and weeds. I am trying to strike a balance between the light and dark areas and their patterns.
I am working to develop the range of values and colors throughout the painting. You can see the start of the depth being created through the distant hills.
Here I am defining the hill and the trees by painting what they are not.
The stronger the initial composition the easier it is to stay on track. I started to have difficulty with the shapes in the painting. I ended up changing elements of the painting. It seemed like I was getting farther away from what I was trying to say.
This moment became pivotal in the development of the painting. I see fellow painters get stuck in their problem solving. They become tentative and unsure of themselves. Realizing that you have made a mistake can be crippling to the creative process. Instead of allowing your instincts to guide you; you start to overthink, over analyse, and become insecure in your efforts. The end result is usually bad execution.
I got to a point where I was satisfied with the shapes. It was the best I could do so I accepted it and moved on. Every painting cannot be everything you want it to be. It is another step towards your developmental goals.
|You can really see the difference in the color when the sun was upon painting.|
|The value shot.|