Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Crescent Bay

The temperature was about 100 at home so I had to get where it was cooler.  The light was amazing.  The sky was electric and the colors seemed even more vibrant than normal.
My initial sketch was intended to capture the detail of the cliffs and the shape of the composition.  As always, my intent is to insure my composition fits in my painting the way I intend it to. There are several changes I need to make in order for the painting work.  There is no need to sketch it again because the changes are not that dramatic.  I just need to keep in mind how much more space I need in my painting to include the rocks in the ocean and make the adjustments to the scale of my painting.

I was not sure what board to paint on initially.  I chose the orange board because I thought it would better to support the highlights than to support the shadows.  By choosing the lighter board, I focused on establishing highlights in the painting.  Because the sun would change the face of the cliffs rapidly, I had to decide on a strategy.  By establishing the highlights I would imply the location of the shadows.  I would use the those highlights to place the shadows later in the painting.

No comments: