Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Rock Pile

This was my fourth attempt at a 3 foot by 3 foot plein air painting.  I think that by pushing my limits in the size of my paintings, I am continuing to push my growth as an artist.  This style of mine is mine; it is not the product of forced, contrived efforts.  I was reading an article about growth as an artist.  It stressed not over thinking your painting.
I agree with this to a certain extent.  I think there is a time for painting and a time for thinking about painting.  Of course there is always a certain amount of thinking when painting.  The choices are guided by many different decisions and the mind has the final say in everything.  I liken this type of thinking as "automatic".  The eternal judge, critic, technician, and artist makes my decisions quickly in the heat of the moment.  There is no second guessing.  There is only decision and execution.  The products of which are evaluated and adjusted for thousands of times a painting.
The time for thinking about changing elements in my artistic efforts happens after the painting is complete.  There is always a focus on improving the quality within my painting.  There are times when I go into a painting with certain painting thoughts.  For instance, in this painting I wanted to really focus on holding onto painting as darkly as I could as long as I could.  By doing this my intent was to make the conclusion of the painting quicker, not over worked, and concise.  I wanted the highlights to really pop out.  However, the adjustments to my style and content are gradual.  My growth as a artist is driven more by my growth in the handling of my tools.
I think it is critical to keep your paintings at the edge of your ability to pull them off in a seemingly effortless manner.  The overworked, poorly executed painting is more a function of an over ambitious effort relative to my skill level than anything else.  My other big mistake I make when painting is jumping into the middle of it before the beginning is finished.
When I can get a painting to the point where I do not have to correct specific problems that were not resolved at the start, I can completely focus on being my best.
My finished painting. " Rock Pile"  This is a pastel painting on a board treated with pumice gel and acrylic paint.  The painting measures 36"X 36".

No comments: