Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Paint Out with Paul Kratter

This was my second paint out with Paul.  My first paint out with Paul marked my first my plein air painting.  This was the location of the first paint out with Paul.
The paint out started at 9 am but I did not get there until after the demo at 10 am.  I had worked from 8 pm until 9 am and then I drove down to the back bay for the paint out.
This is Paul's finished demonstration painting.  He spoke about enhancing the center of interest through values and the size of his subject.  He spoke about exaggerating the subject to support the focal point of the painting.
Paul uses his sketch book to try out his compositions before putting them down on canvas.  He also uses to capture transitory situations that he wants to add to the painting.  Paul uses a ball point pen to sketch.  He uses hatching to denote values in his sketches.
Paul used the same size brushes for the entire painting.  Instead of cleaning them he had the same size brush for each color in the painting.
There were only two of us painting at the paint out.  I was very disappointed that more members of our association did not show up.  This was the first time that I had painted without any sleep.  That is why I only did a 2x2 painting.
Paul offered very little constructive criticism of my painting.  I was hoping for more interaction in the intimate setting.
By the time I had finished everything had changed.  The tide had gone out, the sun had come out, and Paul was looking to move on.  I was not very satisfied with my effort.                                                                                                     
The finished painting.

Paul wanted to come back on Monday to capture the high tide. When I saw him later in the week he said that the tide never came in like it was during the paint out.
Paul gave his demonstration painting to my fellow painter who was on time to the event.  I was so jealous.  I thought Paul did a great job in his communication about his painting.

No comments: