Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Paint out with Jim at Crystal Cove

We had rain the day before and there was a 20 percent chance of rain.  By the time I got to the beach there was a clear patch of sky over Crystal Cove.  All day the clouds threatened to cover the sun but it never happened.  Some of the clouds that rolled by were amazing.  I must of took 50 pictures of just the clouds.

Jim has the same easel that I do- a "Take it Easel".  I really love this easel.  It does such a great job at holding large paintings in place.  The stability in windy conditions is also a strength of this easel.
When I start oil painting en plein air, I will take some of the cues from Jim's set up.  I like the way Jim uses the peg holes in the easel for his brushes.  I also like the way he has his paint box on the easel.  He had this box made so that it would fit on the stabilizing bars on the easel.  I am sure I will have to attach my paint box to the easel as I have had some unfortunate experiences with my pastel box falling off my easel while painting.

No comments: