Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, October 5, 2013

South

One of the challenges of painting seascapes for me, is holding on to an impression of the water movement and following it through to the end.  It is more of a memory exercise than anything else.  What I am trying to do is to notice what all of the water in the painting is doing at a moment when it is interesting and putting it down in a believable fashion.

Usually I establish the color and value of the sky early in the painting and then relate everything else in the painting to it.  In this painting I related everything to the dark contours of the bluffs and the water.  It worked out in this painting. 

One of the biggest differences in painting in the shade was making sure my colors and values were correct.  As you can see in the painting, the colors are more vibrant than the preceding photos that were taken under the gazebo.

No comments: