Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, October 5, 2013

South

The north view from the gazebo is rock pile.  I think I have painted rock pile at Hiesler ten times this year.  This was ideal for my second painting.  The familiarity of the subject sped everything up.  As this session was a continuation of the Brian Mark Taylor demonstration / paint out, I tried to keep some of his main points in mind as I worked.

One of the things that sped this painting up was that I did not do as much drawing in of the subject.  Because I had painted it many times, I was able to trust my position of the elements.  I took a more painterly approach.

Another thing which enabled me to complete this 24"X36" painting quickly is that I did not really overwork any part of the painting.  In some areas of the water I allowed the underpainting a more dominant presence than in other paintings.  As you will see in the finished result, the lighter parts of the ocean are untouched parts of the painting because the value of the underpainting worked with the tonal range in the ocean.

No comments: