Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Morning Glories


Morning Glories 24"X 32" plein air pastel on hand made board with pumice gel and acrylic paint.
I tried to not forget the basics of plein air painting.  I made sure I packed everything I needed.  I put on the sun block, packed the hydration, and all the art materials needed.
I found a great piece of shade that would protect me for the duration of my painting session.  Because I have not been painting en plein air much , I tried to set myself up for success.  I painted in the shade which minimized the effects of the moving sun.  It also enabled me to paint in comfort.  I know...super basic / simple.

The drawing blue from the shade, capturing the basic composition.  The complexity of the plant made drawing the entire plant a waste of time.
I set up my easel in such a way that I was able to see my subject without being obstructed.  I am right handed so all of my pastels are on the ground to the right.  This just makes it easier to observe the subject.

At this point in the painting I am trying to build the composition by placing the of the basic shapes.  The fence boards are really helpful in deciding where the placement of the foliage should be.
At this stage of the painting, I am trying to elaborate and define the shapes and the values of the foliage.

The road map for the painting has been laid down.  At this point corrections are minor.  Sticking to the initial plan well into the painting simplifies the ending.  It becomes a extension of the initial thoughts which arrives at a simple conclusion.  No last minute drama.
The finished painting.  Note how blue the painting is in the shade.



The value shot.
The finished painting photographed in the sunlight.

The detail shot.
The detail shot.

No comments: