Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, January 7, 2018

After Glow

A quick start is usually a good thing for my studio work.  Here the whole idea is already down on the canvas.
Color harmonies and values are being developed at the same time.
Making sure to get the sky on the horizon correct first will let me build the bluffs without having to go back into the painting.  Put it down and leave it alone is something I have been working on.
One change in my process has been to change from using walnut oil to saffron oil.  I was told it would interact better over time with the Gamblin oils I am using.
A stylistic development in this painting has been the overall smoothness of the paint application.  
Although there has been a reduction in the swatches of color and an overall simplification of the subject, I do not feel like there was a sacrifice of detail.  
After Glow 24" x 36 oil on canvas
The value shot
The detail shot

No comments: