Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, September 1, 2017

SCPAPA Demo with Steve Wang

 Steve Wang preparing to do a demonstration for the Southern California Plein Air Painters Association. Southern California Plein Air Painters
 Steve's demonstration was going to focus on perspective.  He had a great hand out for everyone who attended.  
 A painting Steve did 15 years ago.

 Steve's demo was well attended by the membership.  It was nice to see some familiar faces.  I was hoping there would be more staying to paint.  I always like to see what other painters are doing.  I also like the fellowship of plein air painting.
Peeking at Steve's sketch.
The group engaged as I return from getting my paper towels that I forgot in the car.

Everything laid out and ready to go.  I put in the tree first so that I could relate everything else to it.  I thought it would help me with my perspective.

Steve did a great job at sharing his process.  He kept things fun and interesting.
I started to add Steve and the crowd to the painting but did such a bad job that I wiped it out before really even giving it a chance.  This led me to the realization that I need to start painting people.
Here is Steve's painting.  One of the challenges was to add vehicles to the painting.  That was another fail for me.
Steve 
Steve winding things up.

Steve's finished painting with the membership.

Ken had a great painting.  I really liked the way he set some objectives for the painting.  He took some pictures and taped them to his easel.
My mom with Steve.  My mom was a real trooper.  She stayed from start to finish.  I was almost the first one there and I was the last to leave.


I finally got to the point where I could start adding the detail and the highlights.  It is tough when you realize that there is nothing you can do to save the painting.  I never quit.  I did the best I could.
This painting really never had a chance.  There were too many changes during the painting to be able to finish it up to my expectations.  The lights never really got light enough.
In reviewing the values you can see that there was an opportunity to push both ends of the value range.  This would have resulted in a much better finish.
I muscled through as much as I could.  I could really feel the rust while I was painting.

No comments: