Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Pepper Tree at CSUF Arboretum

The paint out location for this past Friday was CSUF Arboretum fullertonarboretum.org The SoCalPAPA www.socalpapa.com were spread out over the grounds.  I ran into a couple of them while I tried to find something inspiring.
I picked this Pepper Tree because of the shape, color, and the shade it provided.
I added a couple of colors to my pallet as I try to evolve my color mixing.  

Keeping it thin with large color washes with big brushes.  Moving to cover the open spaces.
Remaining light value areas are where some of the lightest values will be placed when the painting is completed.
Colors at this point in the painting are used to indicate values within the composition and colors that will react with the colors that I finish the painting with.
Lightening the painting to get a more accurate pattern of values within the painting while further defining shapes and adding the detail of the branches and the foliage.
Darkening areas and further defining the shapes within the painting in order to create the right contrast within the painting.
Darkening the values still further while adding additional shapes and detail within the painting.

Lightening and adding highlights to shapes that were being hit by direct sunlight.  I spent a lot of time with give and take between the shapes and the values within the painting.  It was like a negotiation on what aspect of the painting was going to take over.  Ultimately it ends up being a compromise. 
Further definition of shapes value and color-getting close.
Lightening and darkening one last time.  Touching up shapes.
 Finished! Pepper Tree 24x32 plein air oil on board.
The value shot.
The detail shot.

No comments: