Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

  My first painting plein air painting was 24"X 36".  Since that first painting I have continued to push the limits of what I can get done in one sitting.  Plein air painting more than any other thing has helped me grow as a painter.
These paintings all measure 36"X 36".  The quality of these paintings vary.  This one I believe is the poorest of the group.  I am not a believer that you learn more from your mistakes than your successes. I believe you learn by putting everything on the line.  I do not go into a painting thinking anything other than what the possibilities hold.  Anything is possible.  I am not worried, I am committed.  I keep practicing and because I practice I believe in myself.  Because I believe in myself, I make decisions and do not second guess myself.  The deeper the concentration and focus the quicker I paint.  The decisions are fired off without hesitation; they become automatic like subliminal suggestions.
When I am painting this larger size there is no time to go back and fix sections of any significance.  Every decision is magnified in its importance.  The ability to really explore shapes, marks, values, color, and composition  can not be accomplished on the typical plein air canvas.  It is more of a gamble.  But the reward is so much more satisfying.  I think... I have never painted anything smaller than 24"X 24".

I think I am ready for the next step.  Painting en plein air with oils.

No comments: