Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Quick Draw in Carbon Canyon

I got a late start and wanted to paint close to home.  It had been a couple of years since I had painted in the canyon, so I ended up on Old Carbon Canyon Road which dead ended into a cattle ranch.
As I did a quick sketch and set up, I had some interested viewers stop by to see how I was doing.
I was not sure that there would be anything to paint in this location because of the fire that ripped through this area about 4 years ago. There was absolutely no grass or weeds to speak of.  I think it was to reduce the chance of wild fire.  The weather was so warm and windy that the fear of fire was at a high level.
Because I was in the canyon, the time I had to paint was greatly reduced.  I was able to finish just as the shadows started to creep across my painting.
This ended up being a very simple composition.  I would have liked to work more on the hills and the branches of the oak but time was up.
Carbon Canyon Oak 24" X 36"


The value shot
The detail shot

No comments: