Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Laguna Sunset

Recently adopted some new techniques out of necessity. 
While painting some small paintings, I had to figure out how to build detail in a very small format 6"x6".

Usually I block in the dark values and work lighter and lighter. The highlights being the final touch.
In this technique I tone the canvas with the lightest colors in all areas.  This is counter to what I have learned throughout my painting experiences. 
Instead of building dark to light I am building light to dark.
This requires a change in the way I see the painting and the way I think about the painting process.
It is kind of like painting in watercolor. The idea of preserving the light areas of the painting.  It is more than that as well.
In this technique I put down layer after layer of thick paint.
In order to impose detail and expose more highlights I use color shapers.
I use the color shapers to push the paint and to subtract color to expose greater detail in the highlights.
This is my 7th painting using this technique.  I am sure I will refine this process.  It has really made me think more about what and how I build a painting.

 Laguna Sunset 16x12 oil on gesso board.

No comments: