Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Divers Cove

I got a late start.  I had gone to Art Supply Warehouse to look for a paint box.  
I found this pallet instead.  I also found a couple of more tubes of Gamblin to try out. Yellow Cadmium Medium and whatever that violet color is in the corner of the pallet.
Still working on my process.  I am still doing too much drawing and it is keeping me from developing my color to the fullest.
I mixed up the colors in my drawing to help guide me through my color choices.
It was overcast for much of the day and the time flew by.  I can't tell you how many times I went through color changes.
I got to the point where I did not think I was going to be able to save the painting.  Finally, I said enough is enough and just finished.  I have never gone home to finish a painting and I have not ever gone back the next day to finish either.  
There are benefits to both approaches.  I am not a purist or a snob about a painting being "pure plein air".  For me it is about finishing what I start on location.  This is a way I can push myself to the next level.  It is always about trying to get a completed painting regardless of size or time on site.
The light peeked in and out of the clouds and I did not think I was going to finish.   At the end of the day the sun came out as it was setting and changed everything.  I had stared at the scene so long it did not matter.

I still threw away a lot of paint, but at least I did not throw away my pallet as I had been doing.  I thought the scaped pallet made a nice little abstract painting.  I am a big believer in observing the abstractions that surround you all the time.
 The finished painting "Divers Cove" 24"x 32" oil on board. 
The value shot reveals a opportunity for more atmospheric perspective.
The detail shot review shows some opportunity with the elegance of the brush strokes.  I am looking to develop these into independent, unique, graceful, and descriptive marks.
It was the longest day of plein air painting on one piece yet.  It was amazing that I was able to focus deeply for 6 and half hours.  It was like I was in a deep sleep.  When I awoke I was hungry and needed to use the restroom.  I got stuck in traffic instead.








No comments: