Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Old Town Tustin


I went to Old Town Tustin to paint because it was close and I managed to catch a cold right as I started my vacation.
I have not painted a lot of buildings.  This was a challenging opportunity to work on perspective.
The difficult angle of the planter made this scene even more challenging.
Getting the drawing correct was just as important as any other painting I have done.  It is just more obvious if you get it wrong when you are painting urban landscapes.
I was satisfied with the drawing and composition of the landscape.
The value range in the painting is too shallow.  If I had darker darks and lighter lights the painting would be better.

Possible future subject for the Old Town Tustin plein air event.
The finished painting 24"X 36" soft pastel on board with acrylic paint and pumice gel underpainting.

The value shot.
The detail shot.  In this painting the grain of the board coming through in the sidewalk was achieved by scrumbling lightly and not filling the tooth of the board.

No comments: