Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Last Friday I painted in the Brea Gallery for Brea Fest.  Christina Mercier the director of the gallery had asked me if I was interested.  As a plein air painter, I used to painting in front of others; but this is the first time I had been asked to do so.
I was to demonstrate my approach to plein air painting.  Everything I did was true to life except for the fact that I was not painting from life.  I picked some pictures that I had taken while I was painting in Irvine Park a week earlier.  The subject was fresh in my mind.
I had a great place in the gallery to paint.  I was set up in the middle of the gallery and in front of my work.  
The lighting in the gallery where I was set up was a challenge.  I am used to painting in brighter light.  I also had to compensate for the limitations of painting from photographs.  I picked 2 photos and photo shopped them to recreate the level of saturation I remembered from painting a week earlier.
When I am painting en plein air I have to filter what to include or not include in the painting to a greater degree.  There is so much information to choose from. The changing light and the way it brings some aspects of the landscape into focus from one moment to the next challenges me as the editor of my composition.  The photo limits the editor in me.  My focus on the subject was much easier than when I am painting from life.
The color unity in the painting was easier to maintain because my reactions were limited.  There was no chasing the light here.  The simplified subject sped my painting up considerably.  I started at 6:30 pm and was finished by 9:30 pm.  
The colors I painted with in this studio version were very close to the colors I picked when I painted it on location.  This affirms my hypothesis about the way I see things.  I don't really have any preconceived ideas about what colors are going to be chosen in the moment.  One of the most liberating things in painting is the freedom of choice.  Making your painting yours and not trying to make it something else can be effortless.  I am not sure it is for everyone. Trusting yourself and not second guessing your choices lead you down the path of individuality.  

The familiarity of the subject and the limited challenge of painting from reference photos made it easy to interact with the people roaming the gallery.  I did not feel the urgency I do when I am painting outdoors.  It was a really comfortable and leisurely process. 

 The finished painting measures 24"X 36".  
The value shot demonstrates the opportunity in the aerial perspective.
The detail shot really shows off some of the abstract elements in the foreground.  I really liked my color selections for this painting.

No comments: