Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, January 16, 2015

Low TIde and Palms



I went to paint the flowers on the yuccas until I saw the low tide.  
The combination of the light and intricate arrangement of the rocks at low tide was too good to resist.  Over the past year I have painted this beach more than any other location.  Every time I paint here it is different.  I don't think I could ever get tired of painting this scene.  
 This was the first time I painted from this spot.  It was a little cramped but the angle to the beach was better than from the top of the stairs where I usually paint from.
I wanted to get a lot of work in because my painting opportunities have been restricted.  This location was perfect because of all the different subjects.
I painted for about five hours and was able to get two large paintings done.  I completed twelve square feet of painting.  I painted the rocks for the first painting because it was what interested me.  I had less time for the second painting so I picked some bigger shapes that I could knock out quicker.  That is why I picked the palm trees.

 By the time I had finished the palm trees you can see how much the light had changed.
 The light continued to be spectacular right to the very end.
While I was painting, this guy Michael talked to me about my painting.  He asked me if I was in a gallery, if I sold my work, what I did with my paintings if they did not sell, and he asked me about seeking perfection in my painting.  When he asked me what a perfect painting was I responded: I have had a great rest the night before, the day and light are beautiful, I go to a great place to paint, and I have a full and satisfying day of painting.  It is this journey that I am in the midst of and the process of being fully engaged and committed that push me towards the elusive idea of what perfection is.
Low Tide at Rockpile 24"X 36" soft pastel on board over acrylic paint and pumice gel.

 The value shot
Add caption
 Palms at Rockpile 36"X 24"
 The value shot.


 The detail shot.






No comments: