Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Clouds

This is the completed underpainting.  It is done in water color.  When working with water color as my underpainting and pastels as the finishing media, I strive to get muddy and gray colors so that the pure pigment of the pastels really shouts out the highlights and the vibrancy.  I also want to make sure that I am making the initial painting  dark enough to have the pastels be the star of the painting.  

This is the painting with the pastel over the underpainting.  Upon reflection on the values, I will have to go back and rework some of the clouds so there is less contrast. The better the under painting is in water color the better the finished painting is.  When I do it right, it is like I am doing the same painting twice.
The finished painting measures 24" X 36".
The value shot.  The values turned out to be above expectations.
The detail shot.

No comments: