Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Monday in the Park

 
This painting was handled differently than many of my other plein air paintings.  I started with an a toned board like most of my paintings.  I then developed a full under painting in a complimentary color.  The red under painting was the opposite color of what I intended the finished painting to be.   I handled the pastel through the under painting in a very light manner so that I could add layers of local color at the end.  I moved gradually towards the local color slowly adding layers of color that approached what I wanted. The local colors bring the composition into balance.  This painting is my version of a pointillist painting.  Although this painting is not composed with small dots of color, the prismatic colors laid down in many individual strokes are intended to produce that same visual feeling.

No comments: