Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, July 27, 2012

Painting at Heisler Park Laguna Beach


I got down to Heisler Park in Laguna Beach at about 5:30 pm.  I had been painting up in the canyon at Big Bend for about 2 hours.  It had been in the high 80's and I had to hike about 1.5 miles each way with my 40 pounds of gear-so when I got to the beach I thought I would just take some reference photographs and head on home for dinner with my wife and kids.  I had been down here the week before and made two really nice paintings.  I thought the light in the late afternoon would be amazing because of the way the rocks faced the setting sun.
So I get down to the beach and there is Frank Serrano.  I did not know it at the time because I had never met him before, but I knew of his plein air painting. http://www.pleinairgallery.com 
After talking with him for a moment I had to go get my gear and paint.  I only had about an hour and a half to paint and the only surface I had was huge.  The masonite panel I had made with the pumice gel and acrylic paint measured 22"X48".  I had no time for second guessing.

No comments: