Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, October 31, 2011

Coyote Hills

click to enlarge
This pastel painting is a plein air sketch.  This painting is done on velour paper with soft pastels.  This painting measures 18"X25".  In order to work on my quick draw skills I have been painting with time limits.  On this painting I started at 5:30pm and finished at 7pm.  The benefit is that it helps me not lose the lighting when I am painting  because I am able to paint quicker.  It also makes me pull my composition together quicker.  In looking at this painting the way the hills fall off to the left and the way the mountains follow the line of the hills on the left side of the painting is distracting.  I think a better transition from the foreground through the middle ground of the painting would give a better representation of distance.  The colors are something I can use as a study for a studio painting.

No comments: