Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, October 27, 2016

CSUF Arboretum

I went to CSUF arboretum to try and get a slightly quicker painting done.  I chose a 24x24 board and a closer location so I could get home in time to make dinner.
In keeping with my goal, I did a lot less drawing so that I could get to the painting quicker.
I moved quickly to the blocking in.  I blocked in the sky and tried to get it right and not touch it up later in the painting.  
In this block in I was trying to represent the darkest color within those objects that support impressionistic color shifts.  I want the highlights to create interest in their interaction with the base color of the object.
Another objective in my painting has been to do a better job at representing distance within the painting.
At this point in the painting the block in is complete and the relative distance has been established.
Here I am moving to refining the shapes in the painting.
One of my focuses has been to use large brushes as long as possible.  I have also been trying to develop more detail within the painting using them.  Increasing my skill in my mark making is also one of my painting goals.
I have been using a lot of paint.  I am trying to waste less paint.  I am also working at my color mixing.  I am trying to get greater color diversity through all of the colors worked into my mixing.  I am still discovering different combinations to get to the color I want.
In trying to achieve a greater diversity in my mark making I have also been trying to use more brushes in each painting.  In this painting I used a larger range of sizes.  I was able to use the smallest brush that I carry.  It really helped in the detail of the bushes in the foreground and the fronds in the palm trees.

The finished painting.  24x24 plein air oil on board
The value shot reveals the accuracy of my perception.  I feel this painting really succeeded in portraying the atmospheric perspective. 
The detail shot.  In this shot you can see the diversity of mark making.  I did a better job at establishing distance within the painting and I was able to use a greater selection of brushes within the painting.  I also was able to finish this painting quicker.

No comments: